Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Listography - Top 5 Films on Netflix

I hate/love to admit that I was on the benefiting end of a company unknowingly giving away their services.  For years I got 100+ cable television channels for their Basic 10 channel package price.  Well...it was eventually caught and those delicious channels were ripped from my plate.  At least they didn't back date the charges.  But this meant no more Little House on the Prairie or 9000 Kids and Counting (a nod to the Duggar family - who are anti-gay).  So I am forced to watch local channels, which thankfully have some decent shows, and Netflix.  I LOVE movies.  I can watch a movie over and over and over and over and over and, you get the point, again.  I'll pretty much watch anything except for horror.  I can do classic horror like Amityville, Poltergeist, and Rosemary's Baby, but I am nowhere to be found when it comes to this crap that's coming out these days.  No thank you!

Taking a cue from Kate Takes 5's Listography:  Top 5 Films on Netflix, here you go.....

Movie descriptions from Netflix will be "italicized and in quotes" so you know that Netflix gets credit for the blurb.


1.  Sliver Linings Playbook - "After a stint in a mental hospital, Pat moves in with his parents and tries to win back his wife, until he meets a woman who's as unstable as he is"
Saw this movie in a film class at school.  Laughed and cried and laughed and cried.  More so because it really hit home.  Glad to see films depicting bi-polar disorder in a more human way.


2.  Hugo - "A 12-year-old orphan takes up residence behind the walls of a Parisian train station, where he meets a girl who holds the key to his destiny."
This is a beautiful movie.  The colors are rich and the photography is stunning!  It also has Borat (Sasha Baron Cohen).


3.  Side Effects - "When a young wife's depression spirals out of control due to her husband's prison release, she turns to a new medication that alters her life forever."
What?  Crazy twists and turns you never saw coming.



4.  Albert Nobbs - "A woman disguised as a man and working in a posh 19th-century hotel reconsiders her charade when a handsome painter arrives on the scene"
I really enjoyed this movie.  It isn't flashy or have loads of special effects but a story of a human doing whatever it takes to feel comfortable in their own skin and get by in a society where being transgendered hadn't been given a name.



5.  Flowers in the Attic - "After an accident leaves them fatherless, four children move into their mother's family mansion, where they are imprisoned by their evil grandmother."
Oldie but a goodie.  Don't ask me why I like this movie because I don't have an answer.  The acting is horrible and the make-up and wigs are ridiculous.  Yet I'm drawn to the bizarre story line.




On Netflix but not films

Orange is the New Black
Saved by the Bell
Freaks and Geeks
Glee

What are your Top 5 Movies on Netflix?


No comments:

Post a Comment