Thursday, November 13, 2014

Crazy

Yes, I'm crazy. Papers and prescriptions to prove it.  I don't mean to make light of it but some times you kind of have to.  Or at least that's how I cope with it.  No one really likes to talk about their mental illness.  It's not fun admitting that you are weak and need help.  But, one of my doctors put it this way.....  Mental health is a valid illness.  Just like a diabetic has to take insulin, Bi-Polar patients have to take medications too.

Officially I wasn't diagnosed with Bi-polar until 1997.  But, looking back at my teenage years I can remember having all these sad and self-loathing feelings as well as self-harm, but I didn't know what to do with them, nor did I know they weren't normal.  It wasn't until 1997, while I was a freshman year at college, that I was diagnosed as being Bi-Polar.  One thing led to another and there was a suicide attempt followed by a short stay in a mental hospital.  Over the last  17 odd years (Oh god, has it been that long?) I've battled with mostly depressive episodes with a mixed episode or two (I'm very rarely manic), and some self harm as well.  Due to a devastating personal event I completely fell apart in late 2011.  In 2013 I was also diagnosed with Personality Disorder Cluster C.  Cluster C is avoidancy, dependency, and obsessive compulsive personality (similar but not to be confused with OCD).   Click HERE to see what Dr. Wikipedia has to say about it.

With lots of therapy and medications I am doing loads better.  Currently I take medications that seem to be working well.  That's not to say all symptoms and thoughts are gone, but they are manageable.  I am a work in progress.

Bi-Polar disorder is not curable, so I'm just going to have to manage it for the rest of my life.  I've come to terms with it and I am in a really good place now.

Enough with the seriousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment